Mum claims her son, 7, suffered such bad sunburn he needed hospital treatment after using Poundland Factor 50 cream

A MUM has claimed her son suffered such bad sunburn that he required hospital treatment after using Poundland's Factor 50 suncream.

On 5 June, Danielle Day and three of her kids were enjoying the sunshine in the garden of their Essex home.

But when seven-year-old Reuben came outside to join them, she realised that she'd completely run out of the Nivea sun cream she'd been using and asked her partner Bill, 36, to run to the shops.

While in the family's local Poundland in Brentwood, Bill picked up a bottle of Sun&Sand kids' SPF 50 sunscreen lotion – which promises "high protection" from the sun.

Danielle claimed: "[Bill] grabbed some sun cream, slathered [Reuben] up completely and he then came out into the garden."

Throughout the afternoon, Danielle claims Reuben was in and out of the house and she insists she applied the sun cream several times.


Despite her best efforts, Danielle says Reuben complained about feeling "sore" later that evening.

By Sunday, Danielle said Reuben's skin was so red that it almost looked purple – and 111 told her to slather him in aloe vera gel.

She said: "Literally every bit of Reuben's exposed skin was burnt to a crisp. It was really traumatic for him."

The next morning, Reuben was in so much pain that he couldn't get dressed for school and Danielle had to take him to hospital the following day.


She continued: "Reuben couldn't go into school on the Monday because he was in so much pain. He couldn't even put his t-shirt on.

"Then on Tuesday, we were down at the hospital for six hours because of how badly he'd been burned.

"His back is now starting to peel so we're at the healing process now."

However, the experience has left Reuben feeling anxious about going in the sun.

Danielle said: "He missed his sports day yesterday because he refused to have cream on him and they wouldn't let him sit out in the field.


NHS Sun Cream Guidance:

Take extra care to protect babies and children. Their skin is much more sensitive than adult skin, and damage caused by repeated exposure to sunlight could lead to skin cancer developing in later life.

Children aged under 6 months should be kept out of direct strong sunlight.

From March to October in the UK, children should:

  • cover up with suitable clothing
  • spend time in the shade, particularly from 11am to 3pm
  • wear at least SPF30 sunscreen

Apply sunscreen to areas not protected by clothing, such as the face, ears, feet and backs of hands

Source: NHS

"He went out, did his 30 seconds race and went back over to the side and sat by himself. He's worried – really worried."

A Poundland spokesman said: "We were sorry to hear what happened to Reuben. We've checked and Danielle bought the sun screen from us mid-afternoon last Saturday.

"When she got in touch, we passed her concerns to the makers of 'Sun & Sand' which is a high-quality brand manufactured by Conquest Personal Care.

"We can also confirm that we haven't had any other complaints of a similar nature about this brand in either its SPF30 or SPF50 formulation.

"It's really important because it's a sun screen, not a sun block, that it's applied liberally and often as per the instructions on the bottle, especially where kids are involved and even though we understand Reuben was only in the sun later in the day."

Conquest Personal Care, who distribute Sun&Sand sun cream in the UK, were approached repeatedly for comment by Fabulous but failed to respond.

For more real life stories, this expert warned you should NEVER use a blanket to shelter your baby from the sun as it only takes minutes to overheat.

And this woman issues terrifying warning after escaping hotel room attack & reveals simple advice which saved her.

Plus this mum issues grim warning after discovering RAT were living under back car seat & almost chewed through kids’ seat belts.

    Source: Read Full Article