Vasyl Lomachenko hints he will slash fight purse for second shot at Teofimo Lopez as he 'only wants the legacy'
VASYL LOMACHENKO has hinted he is willing to slash his fight purse for another shot at Teofimo Lopez.
The 33-year-old sent his rival a bloody and terrifying warning by calling for their rematch after knocking Masayoshi Nakatani out on Saturday.
Lopez completed his takeover of the lightweight division when he dominated Loma over 12 October rounds, to be crowned undisputed king of the 9st 9lbs class.
The Ukraine king blamed that poor performance completely on a recurring shoulder injury and went under the knife again.
For his return he ruthlessly picked an old Lopez foe to cut down for his comeback, demolishing the giant Japan fighter in round nine and dramatically overshadowing the 2019 points win Lopez managed against him.
Despite suffering a deep gash to his forehead from a first-round head clash, Lomachenko hacked the towering Asian star down to size by flooring him in round five and then finished him.
The two-time Olympic champion then said afterwards: “I’m happy because I won.
“All the strategies that we developed with my team worked.
“I reached all my goals. I won and now I’m back on track.
“Everybody saw how I won this fight, and everybody is waiting for the rematch with Lopez, so let’s make a rematch.”
BETTING SPECIAL: GET ENGLAND TO BEAT GERMANY AT 14/1
Since then there have been claims from Lopez’s team that Lomachenko may have to make concessions regarding his pay to seal that rematch.
But ‘The Matrix’ does not seem to have any issues with that – claiming he is only interested in ‘the legacy’ rather than a pay packet.
He said: “You ask me about money? A question for me?
“I've always answered your question, I've always told – in boxing I only want the legacy, only legacy.”
Source: Read Full Article