Anton Du Beke takes sly dig at Craig Revel-Horwood as he becomes Strictly judge

Anton du Beke was today announced as one of the four Strictly Come Dancing judges on the panel for the upcoming series as a replacement for long-serving judge Bruno Tonioli.

As he discussed what Strictly fans can expect from him on Thursday’s The One Show, he appeared to make a sly dig about Craig Revel-Horwood, who he will join on the judging panel, and is known for being very harsh to contestants.

Anton, who has been a pro dancer on the show since it began in 2004, told Alex Jones and Ronan Keating: “I shall try to show a bit of positivity.

“Because there won’t be much coming down from that end of the chairs will there!”

He also told the pair he couldn't tell them 'how thrilled he is' to be on the show.

"It’s so wonderful, I cannot tell you how it feels to be asked to do it because I love the show, everybody knows I love the show.

“And doing the judging last year was a great thrill, being able to go there and watch what was going on and know what was going on in their heads.”

Anton replaced Motsi Mabuse as a judge in 2020 when she took a break from the show.

Alex said Anton may have the “edge” on the judging panel, due to his experience as a pro dancer.

  • The Chase star Mark Labbett recalls moment that inspired impressive weight loss

He said: “People don’t understand what it’s like when Alan Dedicoat [announcer] says: ‘And dancing the Walts.’

Then Anton joked: “Your sort of legs go numb."

Ronan asked what fans can expect from Anton on the judging panel,

“I think I’m going to be a kinder judge,” Anton said.

  • Anton Du Beke tells Harry and Meghan 'grow up' after 'nauseating' baby girl name

But he admitted: “I’m not going to be gushing about everybody.

“I shall be expecting them to dance well as they want to dance but I shall be understanding.”

The news of Anton ditching the dancing to become a judge is another change in line-up before the show has even started.

Earlier this year, it was announced that spin-off show It Takes Two host Zoe Ball was stepping down.

However they decided to keep it in the family with her replacement, as pro dancer Janette Manrara stepped into her shoes.

Source: Read Full Article