Maryland man with 124 snakes in his home died of a snake bite, officials say

A man found dead with 124 snakes in his home died of a snake bite, officials confirmed this week.

David Riston, 49, died of snake envenomation, the Maryland Department of Health confirmed to USA TODAY. Officials also confirmed his death was accidental.

Riston died in January in Pomfret, Maryland. Some of the snakes in his home included rattlesnakes, cobras, black mambas and a 14-foot-long Burmese python, according tomultiple reports. The snakes included venomous and non-venomous varieties.

Officials entered Riston’s home on Jan. 19, after they received a call from a concerned neighbor, the Charles County Sheriff's Office confirmed at the time. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

'There's a snake in my couch': Man shocked to find 7-foot-long reptile curled behind sofa cushion

World: Police in Colombia rescue $1 million worth of geckos, tarantulas and other animals from black market

Some of the snakes were illegal, and exotic animal experts removed the creatures after Riston’s death, NBC News reported.

Riston had a valid captive reptile and amphibian permit in Maryland, according to the state’s department of natural resources.

But venomous snakes cannot be kept as pets under the permit, 7News confirmed.

What's everyone talking about? Sign up for our trending newsletter to get the latest news of the day

This article originally appeared on USA TODAY: Maryland man with 124 snakes in his home dies from snake bite

Source: Read Full Article