Two new Sydney cases as cluster grows to 11
For our free coronavirus pandemic coverage, learn more here.
NSW has recorded two new local COVID-19 cases overnight, both linked to existing cases, as the group of cases known as the “Bondi cluster” grows to 11.
The two new cases, which will be recorded in Tuesday’s numbers, were a woman in her 50s from Sydney’s northern suburbs and a man in his 30s from Sydney’s eastern suburbs.
Commuters wore masks at Martin Place Station on Monday morning.Credit:Nick Moir
Both were already in isolation having been previously identified as close contacts.
Recent cases prompted two new venue alerts on Monday morning. Anyone who was at these locations must immediately call NSW Health on 1800 943 553, get a test and self-isolate.
- Tempe Salvos on Thursday from 9am to 5pm or Saturday from 9am to 5pm
- Baulkham Hills BP on Seven Hills Road on Sunday June 13 from 11.55am to 12.05pm
On Sunday, Chief Health Officer Kerry Chant said a case had worked at Tempe Salvos while infectious.
There were 25,252 tests reported to 8pm on Sunday, a slight increase from 24,468 on Saturday.
“Anyone with even the mildest of cold-like symptoms is urged to get tested without delay and isolate until a negative result is received,” NSW Health said in a statement. “People in Sydney’s eastern suburbs and the Wollongong area are asked to be especially vigilant for the onset of symptoms.”
The Bondi cluster – which has led to exposure sites as far afield as Fairy Meadow and Campbelltown – has resulted in restrictions across Sydney and surrounds, as well as some other states placing conditions on entry by residents of the city’s east.
Masks are mandatory on public transport across Greater Sydney, the Blue Mountains and Wollongong and Shellharbour council areas.
As of Sunday, masks are also mandatory in public indoor venues – such as shops, cinemas and aged care facilities – in seven Sydney council areas: the City of Sydney, Waverley, Randwick, Canada Bay, Inner West, Bayside, and Woollahra.
Premier Gladys Berejiklian told 2GB’s Ben Fordham she and Health Minister Brad Hazzard were still awaiting the results of a police investigation into the first case in the cluster: a driver contracted to transport international air crew between Sydney Airport and their police-managed hotel quarantine accommodation who visited Bondi Junction Westfield on the weekend of June 12 and 13.
Police said last week they were investigating whether the man had adhered to daily testing requirements during his employment.
The Premier said she would be pushing for additional vaccine doses at national cabinet on Monday morning.
“That is our road to freedom,” she said before the meeting.
“The current outbreak we’re experiencing demonstrates the risk is always there, the threat is always there, no matter how good your systems are.”
NSW Health administered a record number of COVID-19 vaccines last week, with 90,485 doses administered at hospital clinics and the mass vaccination hub.
However, doses administered by GPs and Commonwealth respiratory clinics look set to decline for the second week in a row, with figures to Saturday 11.59pm showing an 18,000 drop compared to doses administered during the same period last week.
Most Viewed in National
From our partners
Source: Read Full Article